University of Technology, Sydney

Staff directory | Webmail | Maps | Newsroom | What's on
Business Home

Before you travel

Individual Traveller Profile

Complete an Individual Traveller Profile which provides the UTS preferred travel agent with all the relevant personal details required for booking travel.  You will be required to do this only once as the travel agent will store your data for all future bookings made through them.

Booking and Arranging Travel

  1. Travel Approval: Complete a Travel Approval Form and get quotes from one of the appointed UTS preferred travel agents. Scan and email your signed Travel Approval form to the agent to secure your booking. Another travel agent may be used if they provide a written quote that is lower by at least 10% for a like for like fare. Travel approval for International Studies (IS) students and Professional Experience Program (PEP) participants follow a diferent procedure. IS and PEP travellers should liaise with their own administration for information on travel approvals.

  2. Travel Diary Requirement: If you are an employee, your travel is overseas, or domestic for more than five consecutive nights, you must complete and forward a travel diary to the FSU Tax & Insurance Unit. You may need to update the diary on your return if your travel activities differ from those approved.  If the travel is overseas visit the overseas travel page  which provides information and checklists, including risk assessment requirements. Only employees are required to complete and submit a travel diary.

  3. Associated Personal Travel: Private travel undertaken in conjunction with approved business travel (where the private travel component is up to 25% of the business travel component for a maximum of 10 days) is covered under UTS Corporate Travel Insurance. Additional private travel insurance is the responsibility of the traveller. If in doubt contact the UTS Tax and Insurance Unit.

  4. Corporate Credit Cards (CCC): Corporate credit cards are the preferred method of payment for travel expenses unless UTS has a corporate account, such as with our preferred travel management agents and preferred hotels. If you are travelling on UTS business two or more times per year you should apply for a CCC. Approval remains at the discretion of the relevant Dean or Director. For more information refer to the UTS Corporate Credit Card Directive .

  5. Health and Safety: Complete any Offsite Activities Risk Assessments applicable to the travel. Update your Research Risk Management Plan for any research risks relating to the travel. For overseas travel, print the Overseas Travel Emergency Card and check DFAT travel advice.


Paying for Travel

The following payment methods are preferred for travel related expenses:

  • UTS Preferred Travel Agents -  UTS Account or Corporate Credit Card.
  • UTS Preferred Hotels - UTS Account or Corporate Credit Card
  • Other Hotels and Accommodation - Corporate Credit Card
  • Rental vehicles (domestic) - Purchase Order (invoice to Accounts Payable) or Corporate Credit Card 
  • Meals - Corporate Credit Card or Travel Advance
  • Taxis - Cabcharge or Corporate Credit Card or Travel Advance
  • Incidentals - Incidentals Allowance or Corporate Credit Card or Travel Advance. Note! The incidentals allowance must be applied for when completing a Travel Approval Form and cannot be claimed after travel is completed.

Students are not eligible for a corporate credit card, travel advance or incidental allowance. For travel expenses not paid in advance on a UTS account, students are reimbursed via a Travel Acquittal and Expense Claim Form.

Regardless of when you reconcile your Corporate Credit Card for travel expenses, remember to attach your authorised Travel Approval Form to the expense report.

A travel advance and/or reimbursement is available to staff who can demonstrate that a UTS Corporate Credit Card cannot be used for specific expenditure (excluding airfares, car hire and domestic accommodation).

Reimbursements for travel expenses is available for travellers without a Corporate Credit Card (CCC) or for transactions where a CCC is not practical.